How to keep possums away from your deck? Ideas to stop possums from pooping and urinating on your deck and porch!
Possums are adorable when they are climbing trees and dashing across electrical wires. But it can be frustrating when they are munching on your home-grown fruit and vegetables or keeping you up at night by dancing on the roof and creating a mess on your deck or fence. Possum poop and urine is dangerous and toxic because it has a high concentrate of Leptospira bacterium. It is harmful to both humans and animals. This bacterium can cause leptospirosis and salmonella. Possums also play a crucial role in transmitting Buruli ulcer to humans. Recent data has shown that outbreaks of Buruli ulcer coincided with a high number of possums carrying the bacteria.
So, let’s discuss some ways you can discourage possums from thinking your deck is a bathroom:
- Possums are nocturnal and can be attracted by food and shelter. Remove any remnants of food, including pet food, birdseeds and crumbs. Also remember to secure garbage bins.
- Keep your deck clean: Possums like dirty, untidy areas. Clean your deck area regularly to remove any debris and dirt. Cleaning in between boards will also help.
- Possums love to climb. Trim tree branches that overhang your patio or deck to prevent easy access.
- Use a natural repellent to deter possums from coming onto your deck. Natural repellents such as peppermint oil, eucalyptus oil, and vinegar can work a treat. Spray lightly around the deck area.
- Possums are sensitive to light, so installing some motion-activated lights can keep possums away from your entertaining areas.
- Worst case scenario, you can install wire mesh, netting or plastic around the edge of your deck. This aesthetically won’t look great, but it can be a deterrent.
Remember, possums are a protected species in some areas, so always check with your local wildlife agency before using drastic measures to remove possums.
DeckSeal can clean your deck for you to help remove remnants that can attract possums. Call for a free inspection.